How it works
Please have a look at the gallery first to see examples of my paintings. All portraits are strictly the heads of animals on expanses of white paper. If that suits your sensibilities, the process to commission a portrait is as follows:
- You email me a whole bunch of your best photographs of your pet in JPEG format. In the case of cats, please provide at least one in-focus, face-first image of your cat. For dogs, please provide at least one in-focus photo of your dog in profile. The success of the finished portrait depends upon high resolution, in-focus photographs of your pet.
- Having selected a photo upon which to base the painting and reserving the others for reference, I paint your pet's mug in watercolour on acid-free 100% cotton paper. Cats are painted on 9" x 12" paper. Dogs will be painted on paper from 9" x 12" to 22" x 30" depending on the size of your pooch. All pets will be painted roughly three-quarters to life-size. Please note that typically cats will be painted head on and dogs will be painted in full to three-quarter profile.
- As I near completion of the portrait, I email you a preview of the very nearly finished painting. At this point any necessary changes or alterations are made to ensure that your pet portrait portrays your pet.
- Given the image meets your satisfaction, you provide payment via Paypal, , e-transfer or cash.
- Upon receipt of payment, I mail the original painting to the address of your choice.
At this time, it is possible to have your pet's portrait ready in three to six months.
Below is a general guide to pricing. Prices are listed in Canadian dollars and include standard shipping within North America.
All cats, and dogs under 15lbs
Small dogs, 15-25lbs
Medium dogs, 25 - 50lbs
Large dogs, 50-75lbs
Extra large dogs, 75-90lbs
Giant dogs, 90lbs+
9" x 12"
12" x 16"
16" x 20"
20" x 24"
22" x 30"
22" x 30"
Although you own the original portrait, as the artist, I retain the copyright and reproduction rights to the painting. I may use completed portraits in promotional materials such as buttons, postcards, on my website or in future publications. If you do not wish to see your pet portrait used in this way please let me know at the outset.